Sunday, June 27, 2010

party favors 1 - 18 (recap)

















so the pieces are all together. each is approx 4"x6", mixed media on watercolor paper.

I was looking at the thumbnails of all the pieces I've completed so far at the residency; and in the same folder, they appeared less schizophrenic as I had originally thought. Aside from the driving concepts, there's something about them that make them recognizably mine, I think. That reminded me of something one of my independent studies instructors (Paul Hinchcliff, painting) at the Art Institute had said: don't make everything look alike, make them uniquely yours.

I miss Paul. And Lynn Koons (indep writing), too...

1 comment:

  1. more about the "Barbie" archetype - For me Barbie never really had the contemporary feminist connotations as i was growing up - it was all flowers and hearts and playful and carefree and girlie. later, when i saw the houses and the cars at my friend's homes, i associated those "acccessories" with the american dream.

    however, I can see how they can be all sorts of negative symbols now for gender and race for the little girls growing up...

    ReplyDelete