Tuesday, May 26, 2009

A moth lays 500 eggs and then she dies


One morning (this was days after the cocoons were done), I awoke to find moths on the wall, on the door of the dresser and on my desk. Their tails were stuck together, and my grandmother just told me not to try to pull them apart. (They were, ahem, mating, now I know.) I went about my morning routine, and when I went back to my room, some had already fallen (the males) and the rest were busy laying eggs on white A4 paper that my grandmother had prepared for them. Lemon yellow little dots, there were so many, many of them. Apparently, a moth lays an average of 300 to 500 eggs. It seemed, as soon as they were done with their task - completed the cycle of life - they expire.

1 comment:

  1. A fair amount of flying insects do that... lay eggs and die. That sounds like a really lame insult. I didn't know about the color of moth eggs or the number of eggs... that'd be enough to kill me.

    Love the images

    ReplyDelete